The first Pokémon Stadium features only 42 playable Pokémon. The game focuses mainly on battling. Upon start-up, the game asks if the player if they want to use the Pokémon in their Game Boy Game Pak. If not, only Battle Mode can be accessed.
The modes of the game are:
• Battle Mode, as the name suggests, involves Pokémon battles. There are two types: Free Battle and Tournament.
• Organize Mode, where players transfer Pokémon and items between their Game Boy party, PC boxes, and Stadium storage boxes.
• List Mode, where players can look at a list of their Pokémon to see their stats.
• Register Mode, where the player registers a team of their Pokémon for battle.
• Party Mode, where the player examines their current team.
• GB Mode, where the Game Boy Pokémon game currently in the Nintendo 64 Transfer Pak can be played on the Nintendo 64.
The game is only compatible with Pokémon Red, Green, Blue, and Yellow Versions.